YM&C provides legal counsel for every aspect of school law.
Student Rights & Discipline
Young, Minney & Corr, LLP’s student services team of attorneys are actively engaged in ongoing client counseling and development and maintenance of charter school preventative policies and procedures related to student rights, discipline, and health and safety.
YM&C Student Services attorneys work with you to strengthen and protect your policies and procedures governing student rights and discipline. We help charter schools comply with a variety of state and federal laws applicable to charter school students, providing both preventative counseling as well as litigation support for claims involving alleged due process and civil rights violations. We regularly provide workshops and trainings on the suspension and expulsion process, search & seizure, civil rights, and managing disruptions on school grounds.
YM&C attorneys can help you navigate difficult student and parent related situations and develop strategies to avoid liability, create effective defenses to litigation and strengthen your educational programs. These include, but are not limited to:
- Development and Maintenance of Student-Parent Handbooks
- Development and Maintenance of Suspension and Expulsion Policies
- Development and Maintenance of Progressive discipline procedures
- Representation at Student Expulsion hearings
- Managing the relationship with your authorizer
- Legally Appropriate Responses to Student records requests
- Legally Appropriate Responses to Public records requests
- Compliance with state and federal laws related to student rights, discipline and health and safety
- Maintaining and managing student records
- Development and Maintenance of School safety procedures
- Development and Maintenance of Visitor and volunteer policies and procedures
- Accommodating medical and religious issues in the charter school
- Preventing harassment, discrimination and retaliation
- Immunization policies and procedures
- Development and Maintenance of Student Admissions and Lottery Policies
- Representation During Student Admission Lotteries
- Defense of student record challenges